Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Remember 'remember;' it rhymes with 'November.'

Whew. That's over.

I hope.

For the last month or so, I've felt strangely detached from the hopes and yearnings and fears of a lot of the people around me. According to the news, a lot of the people in the world, that is. Crammed into a binary situation by circumstance, I took a third way and voted for a man whose name I could not even remember as I waited in line for the two and a half hours it took for the election commission to get the right voter registration books to my polling place. Who I wasn't sure I'd vote for until I'd been in that line for an hour. And I voted for that candidate mainly because another man who I respected more than any of the candidates endorsed him. A candidate who, in Jackson County, got less than twice the number of votes as there were write-ins. A candidate whom I literally know nothing about besides his name, his running mate's name, and his party. And I'm fine with that. But I was able to not vote out of fear or hope. And I'm fine with that, too. Happy even.

(I would have voted for Jesus, but I figured he's gonna take office no matter what the vote. But I came close to doing that anyway. Maybe I should have. (Thought I'd address that.))

So, last night felt weird, detached, out of body. I've voted in two presidential elections before this, and I really thought those elections mattered at the time. So, this time, to see election numbers flashing on the screen (annoyingly, and prematurely) and to not really care which way they fell was weird. I felt like a sociopath, not able to feel.

My culture says I'm supposed to care. I'm supposed to think voting is the big deal. Get out and vote. Vote vote vote. Get a coffee. Get a doughnut. Get accolades. Wear a sticker; show your patriotism. If you haven't voted, you can't complain. But voting is just one wee thing in a whole big sphere of possible political action, and while my vote didn't count anyway, I went ahead. It felt right, but I don't know if it was right or wrong. It felt good, a little subversive, but I don't know if it was worth my time. Maybe I would have been better served staying home and sleeping an extra hour and a half, been able to be more present for the youth guys I hung out with on Tuesday night. As it was, I was exhausted.

I kind of wonder if the Baldwin/Castle ticket in Jackson County had 664 votes instead of 665, what it would have changed. Maybe I could have gotten all worked up and plunked my vote into a 90k-drop bucket (either way). And then, as I always do, I wondered if I had changed my one vote, how many people also would also have changed theirs. Would me changing mine been enough to affect the cosmic unconsciousness so that others would have too? I doubt it. Same thing with economics. If I create my own little demand or supply of something, does that even have an effect? I don't know. But again, I doubt it. Is that nihilism or realism?

As far as winning goes, I kind of wanted McCain win in order to to spite the really smarmy pundits on TV, and everyone like the self-important people standing around the line at the election place yesterday, the kind of person who likes standing to the side at events, letting other people see them at the thing, but not willing to stand among the 'unwashed.' The kind of person who took running for 6th grade class president as an opportunity to make things happen. The kind of person who strongly believes in the power of volunteering to serve on boards of organizations. Also, you always get a garishly colored t-shirt, apparently. I kind of wanted Obama to win because I like when people have hope, and like when young black guys have good role models. I kind of wanted McCain to win because I think he's got a better sense of humor than Obama. I kind of wanted Obama to win because I think he would have a more policitally interesting administration. I kind of wanted McCain to win because because because. But in the end I really didn't care for most of the policies of either of the candidates. I kind of liked Mccain's more. But only just. Not enough to cast a vote.

So, I watched the Daily Show/Colbert report, saw how hard it is to be funny with short notice. Saw them call New York with 0% reporting. Saw them call the Obama win, hope in Jon Stewart's eyes, like it all finally meant something. Got ready to sleep, saw a generous and well-spoken concession, saw a triumph, cared less about Oprah, as usual. Went to sleep. Woke up.

And all that's different today is that I feel more like writing. More than I have in a month or so. Maybe longer. Like I've been under a cardboard box for a while, and now someone moved it, I can't figure how I got under there, or why I never left earlier. So, there you go. Maybe there'll be more writing. That's the impact of the election in these parts; it's over.

3 comments:

Adam said...

It seems that, when a person creates a blog, there is a large weight of guilt on that person to continue blogging to the amusement of the readers. That the writing is an obligation. So, I thought a great trick would be to write a whole bunch of posts way in advance and only release them one at a time. Then, the readers are amused and there is no guilt. I would think that 15 years of writing would be a good stash of blogs to keep people fed.

My idea then blossomed into this wonderful idea of writing a blog about being 42, remembering when I was 27, while still being 25.

Adam said...

:=:

papathebald said...

After checking for a few days, all of a sudden you write. Good form. tyvm.

I was torn between voting for Jesus (which seemed trite since he seems to want so much more than my vote and i seem to fall so far short of my expectations in doing so) and voting for the experience being a POW brings. Since the latter didn't seem trite I succumbed to predictability.

I think if Paul had run, I would have considered voting. I guess having had two elections where the third Party candidate ran expressly to allow Clinton to win, I'm skittish on the "non" two party approach. Lukashenko winning with 14% of the vote in '94 doesn't endear me to the parliamentary system either.

But I so agree that this administration will be interesting. I hope I'm wrong about Obama's real agenda, but so far it seems worse than I thought. I so pray I'm wrong.

I guess my two 'angst's in the election was the hypocrisy of Obama making his fund raising secret in his quest to buy the presidency in contrast to his superficial rhetoric espousing caring for the poor. My second angst would be the irony of the majority of people citing "we need change" as a motive for voting for and joy in Obama's victory, while at the same time hosting total inability to articulate WHAT the change would be. The old, if you aim at nothing, you are sure to hit it every time.

there . . . I feel better venting. ty (again) vm.