Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Song That Never Ends

I am writing this using entirely the speech recognition software built into Windows Vista. My hands are behind my head. I kid you not. I am navigating Firefox without touching the keyboard, laying in bed. The future is now. Or something.

What is really odd is how I went to Quiktrip with Amanda before we worked on our book earlier this evening and how sort of I thought I could use voice commands to pull things off the shelves. Like I could get the chips to fly into my hand, or maybe just show blue numbers over the vodka which would allow me to click on the bottle to get more information. It's kind of like when I went to see The Matrix having just seen Dark City for the first time. I came out of AMC 30 and walked across the concrete star where you can lay down and hear your voice echo in your ears, and for half a second I thought I might be able to fly with just the power of my mind.

Maybe this is one of the reasons I like to turn the volume down when the commercials come on when I'm watching Lost. Besides the reason my mom does it. Which is also the reason I turn the radio off them in the car with people, and partially why I break the spaghetti before I put in the pot. I mean, I like shorter spaghetti. It's easier to eat with a fork. But also that's what I grew up with. But I turn down the volume because I don't want those stories to dictate to me what I'm supposed to think. I'm very impressionable.

For example, in a conversation with someone with whom I disagree entirely, I will totally lay out all the reasons I disagree with them. Three hours later, I argue their point to someone else. The conversation about total depravity comes to mind, just so you know, Steve.

I've talked about this before. Remember the whole conversation about that nasty drink called Snow that they sell at Target which is a minty carbonated beverage that I actually liked until everyone else said they hated it? Yeah, I'm that guy.

So yeah, I typed and edited the whole thing, italics and all, without touching the keyboard. Ain't I fancy.

5 comments:

SenorOcho said...

Now do it without touching the mouse, poser.

Timothy said...

I did. Turned on the computer, turned on the voice recog, and didn't touch mouse, keyboard or touchpad until I was done. Boo-yah.

papathebald said...

Don't tell your mother. She has Vista.

My favorite 'I'm just like that, so it must be hereditary' quote:

"I don't want those stories to dictate to me what I'm supposed to think. I'm very impressionable."

Guess I'm turning the sound off on commercials. Your reason makes more sense than your maternal parental unit's. (But she's cuter.)

Matthew said...

About how much longer/shorter do you think this entry took compared to ones where you use the keyboard/mouse?

Juliet said...

e


That's what happened when i tried to tell it "neat" while amanda was sleeping on the couch :D