Thursday, November 12, 2009

Just another together-when.

This last weekend there was a Saturday. I know you may think this is a normal thing for a weekend. But you would be wrong. This was a Capital-S Saturday. You don't get those every week, let me tell you.

I got off work at three, windows down all the way home, after six hours under florescent lights, and the weather was late-May, school's out, nothing to do, call your friends, right down the list in your phone, who wants to do something, anything, outside? Some radical insurgent Spring cell got in and took down the oppressive Empire of November. If even for one day. And when oppressive empires are going' down, we are SO there.

So, I got home, and Samn and Jeremy were practicing in the basement for the acoustic set they're playing next week in Emporia. The house was getting darker, and Samn had texted me an idea that he had, a capital idea for Capital-S Saturdays in November, and so I waited with Juliet and Amanda for the rehearsal to end, hoping it wouldn't get too dark to pull this thing off.

Once they were done, Amanda left behind to sleep off a busy week, we packed up, piled in, and drove to Loose Park. Only then did we discover that we were not the only people with brilliant Saturday ideas. Some other people we didn't even know were already there, at work. And so, we doubled what they'd done, and almost fifteen of us made like it was effing Saturday, man.

This is us, after dusk, right before we left:

























I'm pretty sure Samn is standing up there on the right.

At its best, the pile was taller than me. My first jump, I dove flat out, parallel to the ground and flew.

One kid, about 4 feet tall, just ran straight at the pile and disappeared, POOF, and he had to climb out of the middle.

Juliet went it with Jeremy one time. On his shoulders.

One tall guy did half a flip and went in head down, knees up, sunk right in.

Nobody told me this was what jumping in leaves was like. I would have started a long time ago.

You can't get leaves for that in the spring, and November weather is never this kind. It was like the evening was made just so for raking, like, half an acre of leaves into one pile and leaping into it.

3 comments:

Juliet said...

it was pretty made of awesome.

Ben the BFW said...

I think every Saturday is a capital 'S' Saturday because that' just how English works.
Also, I WAS SO THERE.

Gypc said...

I love the fact that I can lay claim to friends who know how to make such good use of crumbling-Empire, capital 'S', November sun opportunities when they come calling. Well done friends, well done.

Further props to you for sharing!