Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Liveblogging the Anthem Glow accoustic set.

8:14. In Emporia at the Inner Bean Coffee House. It's an actual house. As you can see. Jeremy and Samn of Anthem Glow pictured here. This picture was taken just before they launched into their classic soundcheck, an up-tempo and cheery version of Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues.

They then opened with The Killer's All These Things that I've Done, typically
cheesy, yet passionate, with a strong encouragement for the audience to join in on the I've got soul" bridge business. I am not a soldier, so, of course, joined in.

We're Going to Be Friends by The White Stripes started slow and then morphed into another Samn Wright that guy party song. Biggest applause of the three songs so far.

More and more people start filtering in. Going from just five or six to a bursting twenty in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, they are greeted with a sappy tale of love-to-be-lost, which is fortunately accompanied by a solid cover of Delicate by Damien Rice.

The story of the love lost continues with one of the few average songs in the Anthem Glow repertoire, What is Beautiful is God. Of course, an average Anthem Glow song is still . . . glowing. BAD-DUM-BUM.

Also, Amanda says something funny. And we all chuckle. That, or she just told me to say that. A little braggy.

8:33. The Euseys just walked in. I shook Evan's hand. Austin is reading this over my shoulder as I write, and patting my shoulder when I type something she agrees with.

8:37. Anthem Glow follows up the emo stylings of What is Beautiful is God with Wild Roses and Drowning in Faith, continuing the story of Samn's relationship with that girl, and also God at the same time, and how that worked out.

"Amanda returned with yet another witty comment," said Amanda. She also asked if this song was another song about that love triangle between Samn and that girl and God. It is.

8:41. During the Falling Slowly sing-along, I go up for that high note. And fail spectacularly. And intentionally.

Austin and Erin are conspiring next to me to dance together during Spider Web Waltz. I plan to thwart this plan. Bwa ha.

8:46. And now my absolute favorite Christmas song, Samn's Evergreen. Easily the highlight of the show so far. And so we cut trees down and dress them up in tinsel and strings. We ask you for a savior, you give us a baby. We asked you for a kingdom, and you gave us a mustard seed.

8:52. Aaand, break.


















9:03. We're back with Wake Up by the Arcade Fire. But it's not actually them. It's Anthem Glow covering it. Which is cool. But not, like, David Bowie cool.



At 9:07, an Invisible Girl walks through the Bean. No one sees her.

And then there was the time that Amanda took over the live blogging and allowed anyone and everyone to comment.

Question 1 of live blogging take over: Commentor Jacob, is that Jake Petty?

Ben is enjoying a lovely strawberry italian cream soda.

Also, Michelle is drinking mt. dew with whip cream. no lie. she just loves it so much.

Samn and Jeremy are still singing. Samn is sweaty and about to play Orpheus.

Poll: How sweaty is Samn?
"He's really sweaty."
"I would say 7.5, 10 being the most sweaty I've seen him."
"Just right."
"On a scale of 1 to 10, he's really sweaty."
"Question, why is Jeremy not sweaty?"

Also, I am Orpheus.

The Inner Bean is very nicely decorated, mostly with snow men. I find most of the snowmen unfrightening, but there is one that rather startles me. I feel that he prematurely gave up his icy world to settle into a life on top of an old radio without thinking about what that would mean for those who would have to sit facing him while listening to Anthem Glow. He freaks everyone out who passes by. And it's not doing much for his self esteem.


















Quote of the night: "Why are we both in Canada?"

Also, still singing.

2nd Poll on How Sweaty is Samn?:
"Is Samn crying?" "You can't tell because he is sweating."

Waltz Time:










































On second thought, he's not so bad.



Also, We Are Like the Stars.


Good night!

9:52. After a long conversation with the Euseys, and a bit part in Like the Stars, Timothy returns to find his liveblogging taken over and improved upon. Also good night.

4 comments:

Jake said...

I miss you all. Have some extra fun for me.

papathebald said...

Great Joy and props for amending my disappointment and being home bound with mirthful and non-predictable live blogging. Well done (which was predictable) and Hail, O Canada (which I hope was not predictable.

said...

I went un-mentioned :(

Timothy said...

I did not mention all of the people who were there. Which was an oversight.

Also, Jessica was there. And it was awesome.