Monday, March 10, 2008

Look for a self-revealing tie-in in the next post.

I'm cutting back.

Not today. Maybe not this week. But for my own sanity. For quality. I could write well every day. Nothing in particular holds me back from this. But I think shooting for three times a week would produce words more worth reading. And at a time like this where I have a free hours alone in the basement, nothing but rock walls and a space heater for company, I want to be working on my book. I'm instead staring at a daylight savings time induced half-finished blog on why I am afraid of teaching, realizing I have hours of work left before I can let you see it. Ergo, this.

It was a whole lot easier on caffeine. Just look back at the volume pre and post. I wonder how good it could have been on adderal. I read a story today where college professor talked about how he doubled the quality of his career on that stuff. But I've given up using chemicals to achieve mental alacrity. Occasional by-product? Fine. But I'm no user

On the way home from work today, talking to Adam about the problems he's been having at work convincing people that the widget they desperately want to get to market is not a quality widget, I wondered, non-sequiturly, about how many inactive people who eat poorly must use caffeine to feel normal. And then, because their main source of caffeine makes them fatter, get even fatter to feel normal again. The point is, I don't think I can perform every day until I get my alertness under control.

Besides you could already call some of the cheap posts of the last few weeks non-posts. I'm not interesting in throwing crap out on the internet walls and hoping that now and then it makes a Pollock.

So, expect three, and ya may get five. I'm off the triumph bus.

5 comments:

Juliet said...

So, Bethany says there was this guy who drank 12 cups of coffee a day. Then they took it away from him (i dunno who they are) Anyway, it took 7 days, and then his performance increased from when he was drinking caffeine and just had water instead.

So, maybe you need to think of it that way. If you keep thinking that it was the caffeine that was inspiring you, you'll never get back to producing good stuff.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

um, so not missing a blog (3/5) by accident sure makes it so you don't know what is happening in people's lives.
there are ways to get triumph points without giving up totally. . .

Anonymous said...

whoops, meant missing a blog, not "not missing".

Matthew said...

I totally feel you. I kept up the one-post-a-day (during week days) for the better part of a year, but eventually just burnt out. I only had so many theological and/or philosophical topics on which I could write, and I'd say that only 2-3 out of 5 were any good. A decent body of work came out of the exercise (over three hundred pages), but because it was just "writing every day," even within the context of theology/ministry, it didn't have enough focus that I could string it together well. I haven't used any of that work since it was generated.

Best of luck with your continued writing and focus.

Adam said...

And so the world grew silent. The voice of one crying in the wilderness was swept away by the lonesome wind of inevitability, like a subway train. The sound of a subway a train..."the sound of inevitability, Mr. Anderson."



I've no idea what that means.