Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Metablogging, part: a lot.

Jill has a fever of epic proportions, and I've just learned that I'll be leaving to take her to the doctor at lunch. So what you see here this may be the extent of my posting for the day. But we'll see. Maybe I'll acquire some fly blogging skillz and post again later in the day.

All I really want to write about today (or for the past three days if you want the truth) is the lack of chemical stimulants in my bloodstream. Mostly because I find it hard to get the energy up to write without them. Every time since Friday that I've peddled up to the blank screen, it's been harder to push over that first hill than it was any day last week. So I find myself craving DMND, or coffee, not because I want to feel more awake, but because I want to write with passion. I suppose that'll come eventually. But, you may see a decrease in the sharpness of my writing until I can get over this dependence business.

Besides the obvious detriments of dependence on any substance (excepting our old friend aitch to the o!, of course), the main reason I quit goes all the way back to Tim Keel's series on elemental faith last year. He surveyed the themes of fire and air and water and earth in the Bible. The one on earth stuck with me most. Basically, the message was that we're made of dust. That is, people are creatures, made of the stuff of the earth. We have to eat and drink and sleep and poop like creatures. And to embody that body-ness that God made us with, it's important to treat our bodies well. To recognize that the natural rhythms of sleep and eating and excreting are normal.

So, in that light, caffeine is right out since it disrupts sleep patterns, for one. Because it cheapens a lot of the natural rhythms of life. On caffeine, I need less sleep, and I need to exercise less, and my appetite is reduced. But sleep and exercise are good. And controlling my eating is more beneficial if I'm doing it myself. Take a look at meth, another stimulant. A lot harsher than caffeine, obviously, but the main problem with meth isn't what it does to you directly, rather that it keeps you up for days on end, and you don't feel like eating. Caffeine's meth's little brother. Not nearly as mean, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna mess up your face up if it can.

But all that, unfortunately, means that without caffeine I actually have to have the acumen to go to bed on time, eat less, exercise, and work up enough to passion to write on my own. So, boo. 'Cause I'm a lazy one, I is, I is.

I'd write more, stuff on Thoureu, and how quitting caffeine is a political statement, and more about rhythms, and about the correlation of dust to rabbi-following, but I've got to leave in 10 minutes, and what more I have to say on this will take at least a good 15 minutes of writing. So, I'm done. For now. Goodbye.

1 comment:

papathebald said...

Well it's toodles from here, and hope I get to go this time, but then again hope I don't, but it's 95% sure I will, so as I said, "toodles".

harrumph. (another good sounding word that will probably gain sexual connotation (along with "toodles") in the next 10 years.

But hey, I'm sure there isn't a single word that hasn't been used in some way as a sexual innuendo or comment by someone somewhere somehow.

Freud would be pleased.