Monday, January 28, 2008

Notes from the Weekend

NOTE: Sam and Adam and I went to the Crave Cafe last night. Hung out for about an hour and just talked about life. Found out it's closing for a couple weeks, starting today. Turns out they've got new ownership who is going to clean it up, throw some fresh paint on the walls, a'that. The barista with the chopped brown hair seems to think it's a good idea, and I have to agree with her having looked at the walls in the TV room.

I like coffee houses so much more than coffee shops. Something about the odd shape and hominess of a place that used to be a house. Like The Inner Bean in Emporia. Now, that place rules. I only mention Crave because it is the site of my last caffeine. A 16 oz. vanilla latte at about 8:00. So, yeah. . .

NOTE: I'm seriously fighting the haze of caffeine withdrawal. Saturday night into Sunday, I slept 11 hours, and barely made it up to hang out with the youth at church. Last night, although I went to bed pretty early, and hadn't had any caffeine since Friday, I popped awake off and on all night. Of course, part of it is that Jill and I both need new pillows and the one I'm on makes it so I end up sleeping on my arms, which fall asleep, which then wakes me up. And then there the odd sensation I wake up with like I've been lifting weights with my sternum muscles all night. Stretching my sternum feels good. Which is not a stretch I'm used to. It's not the pecs or anything. I'm talking ster-num. So odd . . .

NOTE: so tired. Seriously . . .

NOTE: It's hard to write for more than 30 seconds without getting distracted by the internet, or anything else, really. Caffeine is the great focuser. I spent most of the weekend tired . . .

NOTE: Even at Jones and Eric's wedding on Saturday. Had a headache the whole time. Sleepy eyes. Canya guess why? One of the best weddings I've been to, though. The pastor had lots of funny things to say about the two of them that showed he really knew them. Which is better than a lot of weddings where, even though the guy says he did councilling with them, you feel like the pastor is just reading off of a similar script the whole time. Then, even better, he talked about how singleness is a valid state of being, just like being married. Which, I think, you never hear often enough at weddings. He said the big problem was alone-ness vs. togetherness, not single-ness vs. marriedness. Which is something I've felt pretty deeply for a long time. Which is odd considering how long I've been married . . .

NOTE: Speaking of long, on Sunday afternoon, Brett and I played the Blue Valley Park disk golf course because Rosedale was full of tournament. We played six holes in an hour. This is a long time, I can tell you. This is at least one and a half times as long as it usually takes to play this game. The hills are long and rolling, and every hole feeling like it's at the top of the hill. The signs even indicate elevation. But it was good to get out there and play again it's been a long while. Even though I stretched, my shoulder muscles hurt like a sternum. And it's always nice to hang out with Brett.

We took 27th street into the park, and it is the most depressing street I have ever driven down. I can see why someone living near there would want to leave the city. Abandoned houses and businesses all the way from Prospect into the park itself. It's puzzling how a whole area could go down the tubes like that. How rows upon rows of businesses could be there, and then disappear . . .

NOTE: Speaking of puzzles, in honor of Friday's post, here's one. I would have made it more complex, but I wanted it to come out soon. It's important to note that spaces are included. Capitals, no. Capitol, yes.

*PUZZLE REDACTED. SEE POST ENTITLED 'YEAH, I'M DUMB"

NOTE: Today's late post is brought to you by annoying calling people, and Blogger.com being down. Today's truncated length post is brought to you by all the people who complain that I write too much, also, my complete lack of attention span today oh look a ball!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

give another clue today.