Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I didn't get a hurumph outa that guy.

I saw it first on Metafilter, which is an odd place to get breaking news. As of this writing, Fark and Digg haven't mentioned it, and as you'd expect, it's the top story at the Drudge Report. William F. Buckley is dead.

Even when I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh daily, no other person inspired and directed my political self image like WFB. I stopped subscribing to National Review some time ago, some time before I my care of politics dropped to its current low mark. It was around the time that I still daily drank in enough of the magazine online to no longer warrant the selfishness of possessing my own paper copy.

Last week at Borders, I picked up the latest issue, and thumbed through it while waiting for Dave to show up. I also picked up Rolling Stone and Mad Magazine, a juxtaposition I always hope someone picks up on. Sometimes I add in a comic book and Mother earth to bolster my own overdeveloped sense of irony. I glanced through his columns. I remember reading one, but its content escapes me at the moment. A lapse in the quality of my reading, not of his writing. There was a time getting the magazine that I'd just skim his columns because I'd already read them when they were published online. Just this morning, I was thinking about subscribing to his RSS feed.

I have a book of his speeches published just after he stopped giving speeches called Let us Talk of Many Things. I have two of his spy novels, and an early book of his essays. I have never read anyone as lucid in his thinking or erudite in his prose. Rather than listening to be blather on forever about the man (and believe me, I could go on for pages) go find something of his, anything at all, and read that instead.

4 comments:

Timothy said...

Oh, and his grammar! Scintillating in and of itself.

Jeremy D. Ford said...

That is weird. I don't know much about that guy myself, other than that he once toured Africa giving speeches. The only thing I know specifically is a bit about his speech series entitled "What Becomes of Zambia?" I thought it rather interesting. Also, I think you spelled something wrong in a "previous post".

Jeremy D. Ford said...

Well, per our conversation, I do believe that the speeches were given in Lusaka, but I'm unaware of any official capitol building--except maybe the one without a front door (see the Onion). Also, I do not think it fitting that an answer to be given to a puzzle could not be derived out of a puzzle itself, but rather out of a "hint" given about the puzzle which seemed to be vaguely unrelated.

Timothy said...

YAY. The winners have won the puzzle. I'll post a solution tomorrow.