Monday, February 18, 2008

A short prognostication.

Today I can feel spring coming. Like the smooth roll around the corner at the top of the roller coaster before the drop. There's no real indication, no hint in the taste of the air. But my muscles are tense for it, waiting to explode. My heart expects like a sixteen-year old on the afternoon of a first date.

I've known that I've had some sort of seasonal affective disorder since high school. Most years, I don't even know that I'm depressed until some day in March when the wind brings brings the hint of cool afternoon naps and wet earth, and I wake up, realize I've been under the blanket of winter for so long, I've forgotten what fresh air is like. This is why you see spring so often in my poetry. It's not a pro-spring sentiment per se, but anti-winter.

I don't think I'm in the season affection this year. I didn't get it last year. I think learning the new job went a long way to staving off the winter doldrums then. Rtght now, I don't feel depressed, but suppose I'll have no real idea whether the darkness of the early evenings and the cold have gotten to me until the spring finally gets here. But that doesn't mean I'm not anticipating.

Come on, spring. Get your act together. I'm tired of waiting.

5 comments:

Juliet said...

this is exactly what it's like.

Jeremy D. Ford said...

Mayhap caffeine doth have some ado withal in regard of this happenstance? This be truth perchance if truth also is found in your partaking of caffeinated things occureth more induring the colder ("school year") months.

SenorOcho said...

Psst.

Winter is coming.

Brett said...

Seriously Spring, this waiting til mid March thing is getting old. We expect you to arrive promptly on December 1st and not to bail on us in June like you always do. It should be December through September every year, quit slacking.

jill johnson said...

hate winter. let's migrate.