Tuesday, February 12, 2008

-Morning-Lent-Community- a exercise in unmarked parentheticals

After the party on Monday, I got to sleep around 11:30, assisted by ye ol' stocking cap, with added caffeine molecule hoodie action, as ya might expect. Sam left the party at 8:17, which may have seemed early to you when you read about it in the Monday liveblogging, but this year, he's giving up sleep for Lent.

That is, he wakes up at seven every morning to pray, no matter how late he was up the night before. He also doesn't believe in naps, which makes the whole day more challenging. I'm a firm believer in naps. Naps and I are good buddies. We hang out whenever possible. Although I really enjoyed the potential hour of disconnected solitude the abandoned part of the office building afforded me, back before the far-flung subsidiary of our company moved in there last month, the lack of ability to go over, lie down under a cubicle desk, and zonk out for twenty minutes is my real sorrow. Mmm, naps.

Teaching at Turner, I had to be to work every morning by seven. Sometimes I'd nap from 7:35-7:55 under my desk with all the lights but the emergency row off and my neck cradled by a satin pillow the museJill made for me back in high school. This is back in the the days of the clear blue Nokia cell phone with the Nicholas-esque ten ninjas sticker on the back that I got when it was included with the ten ninjas hoodie I bought him. That phone had the best alarm ever. It started with a real quiet dong . . . . . . . . . . . . dong . . . . . . . . . . dong dong dong dong . . . . . . . . . . . . (a little louder then) dong, and so on. And right before it went off, it buzzed, so you could hit it before it even made noise if you were quick. It's nothing like the absurd and cacophonous and obnoxious rings that come with the Samsungs Jill and I both have now.

Most mornings these days, I'm up by seven. Of course, I got off work at 2:30 back at Turner. It's 6:00 when I'm off now, and I live further from work. But I only have to get up early during the week. Saturdays where I don't work or have second Saturdays, I stretch out sleeping as long as I can. Mmm, blankets. Sundays, I don't really have to get up until 10:30 to make it in time to hang out with the youths at eleven. The thirty-second walk to church helps there. lemme tell ya. I've even woken up after eleven and made it up to the third floor by the time everything got going. But Sam's got that seven hanging over him every day. No thanks.

Yesterday morning was an even earlier experience, as Sam had decided to participate in the lectio divina at Church at 6:30. Lectio divina is an hour-long prayer exercise centered around experiencing a chunk of scripture in various ways. And since Sam only lives eight blocks away, he couldn't in good conscience drive, so he walked. In the freaking cold. And because Jill and I believe in supporting the people we live our lives with, we were there with him at 6:30. Cold and early together in the dark.

I have always liked being awake when it's dark. Though, I think the reason I'm not a morning person is the same reason I get fed up with rain that quits after an hour or two, when the sun comes out and makes the super-happy-fun rainbows. Sun showers are one thing, but when it rains for real, I want it to rain. For days and days even. It feels more real for it to keep going like that. Short rain keeps you from forgetting the sun. Hard to get an aching appreciation for something that's only gone for a minute. It's pretty much the same for me with snow. Snow needs to fall long and deep and stay on the ground for a week, getting piled on by another layer after layer. That's what I think.

I want my life invaded by the weather. I want to feel it in my bones, fight to get out of my house, to feel hemmed in and then conquer it, or cow and stay in, enjoying seeing it through the windows. If it's gonna rain, let it torrent. Snow, let it drift. Hot, let it burn. Dark, let it stay dark. The worst part of an early morning is the dawn. The sun comes up and ruins the whole earliness of it all.

My sophomore year of high school, before I got embroiled in the world of high school drama (theatre and relationships, if ya believe it) I took an AM hour. Which was a voluntary 7:15 class. I'm not well self-motivated, and combine that with the really awful international school I'd gone to for a few months in Belarus, I'd fallen behind a whole year in the maths. I wanted to catch up, so I added in a Algebra II/Trig Class to my not at all burgeoning Geometry-centric math schedule. Geometry was a breeze, which impressed Charlie Pope enough to let me take two math classes at the same time.

This is also about the time that telling my teacher that I'd read War and Peace over the summer got me bumped up from no-one-cares English to Honors English with Teena Winter herself, author of Demystifying the Magic: Strategies for Creatively Teaching the Writing of the Narrative, the Essay, and the Poem, a photocopied copy of which I have somewhere in a stack of teaching paraphernalia in a clear plastic box down in the basement. Even thought I now can buy it for five bucks online. The English class switch also changed my gym hour, which became relevant the next semester when I couldn't run due to tendinitis and was able fit in early a required Geography class from Jim Rostello, the oddest little man who has ever taught a social studies class. What the crap, Tina Turner obsession.

So, me, being my just-back-from-Belarus-ride-my-bike-all-the-way-across-town-to-visit-a-girl-who-could-care-less-about-me-but-on-whom-I-had-a-crush-in-the-middle-of-the-summer-heat self, I'd get to school at 6. So, up at 5:30. I love a vacant building that's usually brimmed with people. It's got an expectant atmosphere kinned to a library. Only instead of the weight of all the potentially known knowledge lurking, swirling around and pressing down on you, it's the emptiness of no people.

So, yeah, I'm no stranger to early mornings. But that doesn't mean we get along. I don't think they get along with Sam these days either. But for a guy who works in theatre, I've got to say, it's pretty impressive to make it up by nine, let alone seven. I mean, there are nights I remember where Sam got home at six in the morning from serious all-night theatre business. All in all, a valiant effort, and something I hope is beneficial to his spirit.

As I mentioned before, I, too am observing Lent again this year. Last year, in an attempt to up my own personal conviviality, I decided to give up eating by myself. I only ate if I was able to eat with someone else. A couple of times I ate in friends' presences, when they weren't eating, but for the most part it was all about sharing meals. While this was fun and good for my waistline, I don't know that I could consider it to be a drastic change from how I live anyway. Yes, occasionally I have a banana in the morning all alone (wail and sniff), but I mostly skip breakfast. Yes, I know this is not good for my metabolism. But when you're watching your weight, there is a serious dearth of satisfying breakfast choices. And yes, I have soup at my desk at lunch, or occasionally make a fresco-style Taco Bell run on those very off days in which I have not pooled in a car out here to Olathe. But for the most part, my meals are communal. So having tried it, I can say that giving up alone-eating isn't really much of a good way to ritually and somberly prepare myself for Easter.

I've been thinking for a few weeks of what to do for Lent. I've never been big on giving up a thing for Lent that you ought to give up anyway. Like, back in high school, people I knew used to give up chocolate or pop or whatever, and I would say in a snarky tone that I was giving up drinking and smoking and cocaine and murder. You know, things I didn't do anyway. Part of it was that I saw Lent as a meaningless Catholic ritual, ala only eating fish on Fridays (a practice whose genesis come from a glut in the Italian fish industry), and part of it was that I saw a lot of Catholics that I knew who went to mass 'a week and didn't have a thing in their lives to show for it. All ritual, and no substance. I'm not trying to disparage Catholicism, a lot of people from all kinds of demoninations and e'en other faiths do these same kinds of rituals that have no meaning for them, but that's how I saw it at the time.

This is part of why I quit caffeine a week and a half before Ash Wednesday; I didn't want quitting something I wanted to quit anyway to be part of Lent. Last year, Tim gave a sermon agreeing with me about how Lent shouldn't be something you give up that you should anyway. That it should be a time or reflection and preparation. This year, Jacob's Well is doing a whole series on various practices and disciplines of the faith. And without any good ideas at the time, I decided to get all creative, and try to take on each of the practices the week following the message on that particular one. Now, I had no idea what they were going to be, and this week when Shayne came out and spoke on communion, I had no idea how to incorporate that into a week. I mean, we take communion already on Sunday, and on Thursday nights for the prayer thing, and on Saturday nights sometimes, so, where the heck was I going to fit it in in addition to those other times?

When we do communion at Jacob's well, it's an individual thing, pretty much. We're all doing it at the same time, of course. Well, one after another. But you go up when the line gets down to your row, and you take the bread from the person, and dip it into the grape juice that stands in for wine, and they tell you that it's the body of Christ broken for you, and the blood shed on your behalf, and then you eat it. A process called intinction, for those who care. And then you go back and sit down. Married couples sometimes take it together. On the whole, though, like in most churches, I think, communion has become this private matter where you get your face all holy-lookin' for a second and then eat and drink some morsels. Kind of uncommunal if you ask me. Sometimes we've been sneaky, and we grab all the people sitting in our row, and we all go up and take it together. Communally, you know. And on 'Conversations' nights when we pray, we get a big loaf of really good rosemary bread from Farm to Market bakery, and some wine which we pour in small amounts out into glasses, and then someone breaks the bread and passes it around, and reminds us to remember, and we munch on that for a while. You can get seconds.

Shayne focused in on the communal aspect of communion in his message, and then had us go up in groups of four, and really look at these other symbolic members of the body of Christ with whom we were symbolically taking in the body of Christ. I ended up with a couple people that I didn't really know, which was a cool experience.

But now I was stuck as to what to do for the week, seeing as how it's a very other-people sort of practice. Not like fasting or giving or prayer, which are all things I can easily and creatively come up with ways of practicing for a week on my own.

After church on Sunday, we went over to Amanda and Katie's for spaghetti, for the third night of four in a row of people over at there. You could tell it was wearing on Amanda by Monday; she does not get energy from being with people, and she was beat. We usually eat food together after church, and the Jill was getting her own introvert on, so we had to go somewhere besides our house, which, like I said, is a thirty-second walk from the church and so convenient. Brett and Jake brought the sauce and some noodles and ground beef, and so Ben and Mike and I collected some money and went to Dillons, which I hear is closing, sadly.

I grew up on the Dillons chain of grocery stores. I remember biking back and forth on my one gear red bike to the Dillons on Sante Fe to rent a movie one hot day when my dad was really sick. It took three or four trips before I got the signature and the money and everything sorted out and got back home with Back to the Future. Turns out I got a VHS instead of a Beta, so my dad actually got in the car and drove me back over there for the exchange. Another time, my History of Technology class walked over to Dillons and cataloged all the various magazines and their subsequent sub cultures. When Jill and I lived on Harrison, we even shopped there. We lived for two years next to that amazing Price Chopper on Roe, and I don't have a Chopper Shopper card any more. But I do still have the Dillons Plus Card I got back in high school. So, yeah, affinity.

Ben and Mike and I got some pies and some linguine and some low-cal non-carbonated soft drinks and some garlic bread and some cheese bread. And then Ben, because he has a weakness for baked goods got a third pie. Once we'd gotten back and were eating, I asked everyone what I should do this week to observe communion as my practice. Sam said, that I could only eat with other people again. But I didn't want to just run through same ol' same ol'. Steve said that I should take communion with people that I normally didn't take communion with. I was like, "What, like homeless people?" And he said, no, I wouldn't likely take communion with homeless people, it should be people that I really wouldn't ever take communion with. I said, "Oh, like Mike Bickley." The whole room laughed. Half because they thought I said Mike Bickle, who is the paster of IHOP, a really charismatic/fundamentalist church out in south KC. The other half laughed because they all used to go to the church with me that Mike Bickley pastors in south Olathe, and all of them now go to Jacob's Well instead for a variety of reasons.

Then Sam said he had a hard idea, that I should go have communion with Danon and Cara, who are people that Jill and I and Amanda and my parents and Nick and Martha and Lynn and Sam all performed with a couple of summers ago. They kicked Jill and me out of their theatre group a year ago December. It was a big to-do, and there were a lot of hurt feelings on all kinds of sides. And although we've patched it up a lot, we really haven't become friends again. We were accused of being divisive in the group, and we didn't think we were. So as hard as it might be, it seems to me to be a great group of people to get together with and take communion, sharing our common identify as followers of Jesus.

My goal, then, this week (and it may stretch further into Lent, depending) is to take communion with other Christians that I normally wouldn't. So far, I've taken communion with my mom, and my group of jr. high guys group that meets on Tuesday. So, not much so far. Pretty easy, really. On my list I've got Mike Bickley, Danon and Cara, my boss, and Mike Huckabee. I think I'll be able to get the first few. I'm carrying around a backpack with a bottle of wine, a bottle of grape juice, some pita bread, and some cups. So, I am action ready.

One of the other things going on this Lenten season at church, although not directly related to Lent, is a series of seminars and discussion groups they're calling Jacob's Well Institute. There is one about practicing Lent, and one discussing the physical aspects of spirituality led by this cool philosophy professor at a chiropractic college who is an elder at our church, and one that Steve's leading that is a read-through of Mark, and a couple that are just weekly chances to get out in the community and meet peoples' needs. I'm going to a book discussion on Tim Keel's Book Intuitive Leadership that Shayne is leading on Sunday afternoons.

This last week, we got into a discussion about community living that stemmed from Tim's story about how Jacob's Well is kind of based on this experience he had in a tight-knit community of people he went to college with. They ate and played and prayed together. And it had a huge impression on him. He didn't see that kind of shared life once he got out into other churches and locations, so he wanted to create it in the church he started.

One guy said that this kind of thing in college was very common, that his daughter just interned at a church and the group got really close. But after it was over, they just scattered and didn't do much together. That it was all very artificial, that communities like that are artificial, and that people stop living like that once they get out into the 'real world.' Another guy who comes with his grandfather, which (and who) I think is very cool, and he said that the only reason he lives with other guys and they share things is that they're all poor, and that he thinks this is the only reason that people end up in community-living situations.

I'm trying to learn to be a more organic and less strident in large group discussions, so I didn't, like, stand up and shout at these guys or anything, but I disagreed with both of them. Especially the guy who said that community was artificial. Another guy made the very good point that this idea that living in a close-knit community is artificial is only a post-industrial revolution idea, and that most of the rest of the world, and the rest of times for that matter, thinks differently.

I said that our culture strongly discourages communal living. Our culture thinks that people who aren't trying to be independent, to get a house for themselves, and a nice car, and a great job, and live without depending on anyone are weird. I told the story about how much resistance we got to trying to get a house to live in with a few people. How the financial industry doesn't have a niche for people who want to get a large house or an apartment building, but aren't trying to make it an investment. How people that we knew flat out rejected the idea of living together in a community with married people and single people.

I got kind of sad, because I like to believe that Jacob's Well is this progressive kind of place, forefront of the new kinds of Christianity, where people are trying to live out lives that are different, that break the status quo. Lives that only make sense if there is a God. That are less and less concerned with the trappings of our culture, and more concerned with believing the things that Jesus and Paul say about love. And here was a whole room of people that are dedicated enough to the place that they signed up for a discussion group about the book the lead pastor wrote, and most of them were locked into this mindset that community that makes you rely on other people is an artificial.

The grandpa guy said that he's been through a lot in his life, and he doesn't trust very many people anymore. Except his family, who had recently come together to help him through a tough time. And he gave his grandson a very grandfatherly sort of look. I wanted to be like, "YES. EXACTLY." Only I meant more the metaphor where Jesus says that the other people who follow him are family. That sometimes you have to give up your biofam to follow him. But the brothers and sisters and fathers and mothers you find can end up being even sweeter than the people who share your genes. But I didn't want to rain the guy's parade or anything, and twist his words to mean something he didn't mean exactly. Like I said, I'm getting better at group discussions.

Later, right before we started singing down in the service, I asked the grandson if he really thought that community can only come through economic hardship. And he said that all money does is alienate you, and turn you inward. Making you want to improve your station rather that help other people and be helped in return. Then we sang a song about being fellow travelers on the road.

I hope what he said about money isn't true. But I think that it can be for a lot of people. That the more money they have, the harder it is to give yourself up for other people. And that only by really being poor can you actually depend on others. Maybe that's what Jesus meant by the whole camel and needle bit. It's hard to enter into and live with a group of people if you're entirely self-reliant because you're so well off. I know it's hard for Jill and I to ask for help with things when we're not doing well financially.

I'm an extrovert, for sure. I get my energy from being with other people. But I think that there's something very special about being able to trust and rely on other people. To follow a road with others. To have a family, even if it's not biological. I don't think it's artificial at all. I think it's necessary to healthy living. I think it's paramount to mental health.

I went on a missions trip one summer to Belarus with a group of 11 other people. We taught Belarussian kids conversational English, and helped other, shorter-term groups do the same thing. We ate and slept and prayed and laughed and cried together. I came out of that with the idea that if you can sustain that sort of life for three months, you might be able to do it for longer. That's where the whole communal living idea genesised for me. Shane Claiborne's book Irresistible Revolution showed me that someone else had tried it and it was working. And Tim Keel's message that God honors choices you make spurred us on to action.

And I find myself now in the midst of the kind of community that depends on each other, even if they don't all live together. That when one of them decides to get up early in the morning, some of the others get up with him. And when someone goes on a trip, some people hop in a van and take him to the airport. And when someone's out of money, and need a deposit on an apartment, the others pitch in. When someone needs moved, they get moved quick. When someone's out of ideas for what to do for Lent, he can ask for advice and get something challenging. When a surprise party needs thrown, it gets thrown. When someone's out of money, and everyone goes out to eat, they get paid for. When one person makes a lot more money than a roommate does, they pay more for rent. I think community is possible. It's not just an artificial construct.

I'll take and eat and drink to that. Just lemme know. I've got a backpack.

6 comments:

Timothy said...

Hint: Lines in the Alphabet Cube puzzle are similarly divisible.

jill johnson said...

i love you and the ideas you have

Anonymous said...

Here, here!

My first interpretation of the 'artificial communities' statement was that communal living during college is artificial. Everyone lives with the same expectation that they are moving away from each other in 3 or 4 years so the commitments only go so far. That could be artificial community.

On another note, I was in a book discussion once where someone asked the question can you be rich and live communaly at the same time? One answer was: to be rich is to have stuff, to live communally is to share stuff. Many times you can not have and share at the same time. But many times you can, also. How do you share something you don't have?

On a final note, I have some ideas. I think they will be messy. Could be fun.

Anonymous said...

hehe. jill, i was going to say that.
timothy, apparently, you are loved and have good ideas. :)

papathebald said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
papathebald said...

I'm 'letten' you know. (Have backpack. Will travel. bum-bum-bumm)

I think you are confusing what you desire most in and from community with length of proximity.

You have the right desire, but you've perhaps missed the overriding dynamic that makes it so: not length of time in community, but the source of a community.

I think the core of the community dynamic you most fondly have experienced and desired is one who’s source is in serving, Jesus type relationships, that focus on creating an environment in which people can become authentic and then independently Dependant on Jesus and then finally servant leaders themselves who equip others to create communities for others to go through the same process.

If this were heaven already, then I'd slip into your "how long can we stay together" parameter, but I think while 'eternity' together is what makes heaven, heaven, I think it also makes hell, hell, and it is the Jesus-type relationships that make the difference.

Here, all relationships come to an end too soon, and the urgency of people dying without every knowing there is hope and a Jesus to follow, means a paradox to the peace and joy we have in any community of Jesus followers.

Simply "growing in community" focused on itself (as its source) leads to corruption. A growing community of Jesus followers needs to follow Him in "seeking and saving the lost" (His purpose statement for His first coming) as well as the “one-another’s”. That means a lot of "both ands.":
-Both savoring Community and new relationships.
-Both seeking and ending injustice here and globally.
-Both loving your neighbor next door and the millions who have never heard.

Your 'elder' friend is half right. People suck. The next step is crucial, however, in that to follow Jesus means once finding a good reason they suck, THEN loving people like he did. In denying community, your friend denies that supernatural, only-Jesus-can-truly-do-it next step and is pursuing the wrong solution to his problem.

Loving people MEANS community, a community of all lengths and intensities, but all temporary until we get 'home'. I suspect when your friend hears you suggest long term community, he thinks of those long term communities that are financially, vocationally, socially, or even sexually based.

Those communities that aren't based on the individuals remaining individuals at the same time they corporately are pursuing Jesus, actually create individuals who play God or let others play God in their life, instead of God letting be Himself. He is the only one who has the right to your innermost being. Any child of an alcoholic can weepingly agree with on this. Being co-dependent is evil.

In contrast, being independently dependent on each other in Christ is the highest form of community.

Man is not basically good (shock, gasp, bum, bum, bummm). Man is basically lost and self destructive and seeks opportunities control unless he releases control to Jesus. Even Jesus followers still have that ability to seize control of anyone and anybody to our own shame and limited destruction. But when independent Jesus followers serve each other great joy, power, as well as internal and external impact result. It’s the difference between the community of the Philippians (cf. Spiritual man at the end of I Cor 2) and the community in the first 10 or so verses of I Corinthians 3.


Point?

Savor extended time in community when God gives it to you, but be not disheartened if such long term experiences are far and few between. Some of my sweetest community experiences have been simply because Jesus showed up, yet they lasted only minutes. To this day I still find instant strength, understanding, and joy meeting an unexpected follower of Christ on-the-way, much more than I do sitting with blood relatives simply because they are blood relatives, or some attendees of a church I've gone to for years who always smile, but never let you close.

Yet, I agree we are too consumer even in our Christian relationships. There is no working definition of the word ‘commitment’ in our culture. We are conditioned to fight boredom by switching channels. If we get hurt, we switch faster.

Indeed, we were created for commitment type love, but commitment love doesn’t require proximity, only commitment: Commitment to listen; Commitment to believe in you and be believed in; Commitment to hang on together in hope. You simply can’t do that in truth or with endurance without following Jesus.

So I suggest you are on a most excellent path, but don’t mistake your thirst for Jesus created commitment for that of wanting a lengthy span of proximity. As far as you are able, go restore old commitments broken. Savor the peace of each commitment you are already in. Approach each new face with the hope of commitment, a commitment- not of control, and time and proximity, but of hope, of Jesus, and of deliverance.

P.S. In this context, money has nothing to do with community. I've experienced commitment community with rich and poor alike, in several locations around the world. Such an experience of Community is possible, even probable, WHEN indeed such a community is rooted in independent followers of Jesus making that commitment.