Monday, February 11, 2008

Special liveblogging attempt.

5:22 - At work. After work, I shall be going to go to dinner with Amanda and Jill and Juliet and Jeremy as a celebration of Juliet's birthday. Should be exciting. My goal is to blog about this. AS IT HAPPENS. We'll see how that goes.

6:01 - Off to Amanda's.

6:28 - Holy crap, it's cold. Have arrived at Amanda's. Parked west of the apartment for extra sneakiness. Now I can clue you in that this is actually a surprise party for Juliet. I hope she doesn't know. On the drive over, Eric called me to get Amanda's phone number because he and Jones were party hat-less. And this is a party hat party.

Our mom, and Grandparents, and Jeremy's mom, and Katie, and Becca Ford, and the whore, and JESSICA (who we all thought would be here via webcam), and Nicholas (who is making spaghetti), and Jake Petty are all here.

Steve is hanging streamers with Jeremy's mom's help. Grandpa tickled his belly as he stretched up to pin the streamer into the ceiling. Steve says he's more pragmatic. Wants to know if there's a bridge he could build instead.

There are balloons over the door on strings and every time they open the door, the balloons fall out. So we have to move them so they don't ruin the surprise with out of the doors balloons.

Eric and Jones arrive in all their just-married happiness. Vika asks them how married life is. They do not respond, "The sex is GREAT!" Although this would be my response.

I won't post this until after Juliet arrives.

6:40 - Jill is still not here. Kate and John and Courtney and Jeremy's dad and Bethany and Sam have just arrived.

6:41 - Jill has arrived. I go off to acquire a kiss.

6:43 - Failure. No kiss. Jill brought my stocking cap. All drunkenesque behavior I may exhibit for the rest of the night is now Jill's fault. Jill brought my mom's birthday present and our card. We gave her Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrel. Off to try for kiss again.

6:46 - Success!

6:48 - SUCCESS!

6:51 - Juliet and Jeremy are getting a drink treat on the way. Even though we're supposed to be going to dinner after this. Sigh. Where is my drink treat, O Fate! They'll be here in about 20 minutes, apparently.

6:59 - We made Omi's spaghetti (Prego+beef+crock pot). Nick and Martha brought spaghetti. Pasta is apparently Juliet's favorite food.

Amanda tells a story where she texted Juliet with a message for me asking if we were bringing food. Jeremy intercepted. Whew. Spoilage averted.

7:01 - Success!

7:06 - Texted Juliet "Are you drunk?" This is an inside joke. She calls Amanda. They are on Shawnee Mission parkway and shall arrive in 5 minutes. I doubt this can be spoiled now, so I'll post now.

7:42 - About to light the cake and sing. She was definitely very surprised. There was an awful lot of shushing as she was about to arrive. There were noise makers

7:44 - Presents: Juliet sits in the brown round chair.
  • Kourtney leaves. Can't tell if this is part of the present giving.
  • In a black bag with red tissue pager. From aAmandaSome hair product. Across the Universe. Wee giraffe keychains to share with Amanda . Necklaces. Wee notebook.
  • Our present. Ribbon-sewed envelope/card. Inside: Jill makes a skirt with Juliet. I have written this before she was able to get the envelope open. So if she'd just looked down to her right where I was typing, she'd have seen it. But she is too intent on the present-opening.
  • Card from Gma and Gpa. KU hat. 4th of July visor. I'm sure she will where it every day. This is certainly not sarcasm. Towels.
  • That's it. OH WAIT. Jeremy has a present. All the rest are friends who do not give presents. They think their presence is presents enough. Lies. Phooey on them. The outside of the package says it's not what the box says. The box says it's a computer. But it IS a computer. So, surprise, even. Juliet is so surprised AGAIN. She says, "This is way better than a cat." She wanted a cat. A lot. She even cried the other day when Jill revealed at Applebee's dinner that Katie (not the one here. Jill's good friend) said that there was a free cat. But Juliet and Jeremy's apartment makes it too expensive. Phooey on them, too.
  • Jake gives a placemat with Kat's signature from she is at work.
8:09 - Juliet's new computer says it's tomorrow. Brett says that this is the 'Computer of the Future." (Spacey woo-oo noises). He reveals that part of her present is an Early Edition-easque ability to get tomorrow's news today. I reveal that this is tomorrow's internet today. Sam reveals that this is her blessing and her curse. I reveal to you that this is my attempt to make Juliet's endless surprises continue past their computer terminus moments ago.

Also, my stocking cap has been off for a while now. I feel much more lucid than I did when Juliet arrived and we were all wearing out party hats. Bonus Fun Fact: Jill safety pinned an orange pom pon in top of my stocking cap.

HINT: The name of the puzzle is the three symbols put together minus the second symbol's 'A.'

8:17 - My father calls to say hello to Juliet. And to me. And to my mom. We tell him I'm live blogging. Hi Papa!

Sam leaves. I will see him in the morning at far too early in the morning for Lecto Devina. It starts at 6:30. Blech.

8:35 - We learn that Sarah Childers decided to be a U.S. marshal from watching the Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. Brett reveals that he, too, decided on his career from this movie. That is, a doctor turned fugitive. But he gave it up because the schooling was too expensive.

We also decide to play the notecard game.

8:40 - Near success. Sadface.

8:50 - Question 1. From Amanda. "Why are you running from the government? Like in Serenity, for example." My answer: I refuse to bow to the 100 ft. tall President Obama statue when the lute and the tambourine and the drum and the trumpet and all kinds of music play.

8:53 - Jill is knitting a sock.

8:58 - Amanda guesses me right. Musta laughed at my own too hard. Some other good answers: "Because I'm a doctor and a fugitive," "Because I just hit one of my employees" (The Office reference), "This headstrong working class genius had one too many run ins with the law (Good Will Hunting DVD back copy reference, which Brett was holding), and "To show the government how fast I can run."

9:03 - Brett. Tell your life story in exactly six words

9:07 - God embraces as I attempt evasion.

9:12 - Nicholas is ten ninjas. So, yeah.

9:17 - Jake: What animal would you steal from the zoo, and how?

9:18 - Elmo. Something about a candy and a white van ending in Ha Ha Ha. (I don't have my paper.)

9:21 - Some animals: Jim Sturgis. Elmo. Monkey. Johnny Appleseed. Monkey. Wolf. A little monkey-like thing. Rhino (or a pet snake). Orca. Some methods: Take him by the hand. Candy and white van. Replace with small child. No method written. Small child swap again. Dress like a sheep and as a level 10 ranger make it an animal companion. Is having sex with ten ninjas. Light a fire outside and take advantage of the natural firefighting instincts of rhinos. Put a boat on the other side of the wall.

9:33 - Nicholas. What is your style of Kung-fu? I answer "either 'BXB' or 'Q and X in the same triple word score word ki-yi!'

9:34 - Martha style combined with kicking. Elbows of Fury. Drunken Brawling. Jessica style. RockFist style. Monkey steals and rhino stomps the peaches. Ten Ninjas.

9:39 - Me. Which book are you and why?

9:42 - Hafta pay attention. I'll pick up blogging in a bit.

10:23 A long bit, apparently. I'm starting to drag here. Questions: Katie: What should be done to a person who solo blogs in a co-op blog? Juliet: What book's world would you live in for a month? Jessica: The answer is 'frosting,' what is the question? Martha: What would you be the master of that you currently have no natural ability at?

10:26 - Nicholas wants to sing like all four Boys II Men.

10:35 - Juliet skims this blog post and learns of Grandpa's Steve-poking as Steve leaves. Also mentions that it was an Atlanta Braves hat, not KU. Also, the towel was there because she had one she'd never used and had nothing else to wrap in. Also, Grandpa giggled (!) in the kitchen.

10:37 - Jeremy. a. What is Jeremy thinking about. B. What should he be thinking about?

10:43 - While we're answering, Brett mentions how much more adult we all are this year considering how many of the answers involved sex.

10:44 - It's BUSINESS TIME.

I mean, I'm done blogging. G'night. I'll do a little wrap up tomorrow if I think of it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, so amazing. i'll read it again.

Anonymous said...

haha. good job.
i think i will read the blog more and more.

Brett said...

Very good.

Anonymous said...

i think this was a great idea. good job.

Anonymous said...

With such amazing comentary, I almost think that I didn't miss anything.

Now, where did I put my hat?

jill johnson said...

i'm knitting a sock!

Jeremy D. Ford said...

I'm with Adam on this one. I missed a lot of this whilst being in attendance, but I feel I missed much less than I did since there is a semi-comprehensive record of much of what was unknown to me. Good job. Also, I disagree with having to verify a word that isn't a word at all (like "uitafvue") in order to post a comment. That just isn't right. I am already signed in to gmail. This shouldn't be necessary.

papathebald said...

Couldn't get Blogger downloaded much in Africa, even on a 'fast' server.

Deeply appreciate your unintended (I can only surmise) gift of a new mantra (see following).

That being stated as justification, I suspect I want to play the 'note card' game for the rest of my life, even though I've never played it yet.

New Life focus (mantra)(#1):
"Light a fire outside and take advantage of the natural firefighting instincts of rhinos."

Failing that: Mantra (Life Focus) #2 If #1 fails: "Put a boat on the other side of the wall."

(note: Having just come back from Africa, I now see how impractical #1 could be at times in America, but I say, "Support your local Zoo." and chance the consequences . . . but it did work in Nairobi at almost any hour of the day or night . . . except to clear traffic "jams": cars dead stopped for 30 minutes to an hour at major traffic circles: No by-passes. No freeways. No traffic lights (working). No 'NON-Vanna-White-type' police. EVERY rush hour, 6:30 - 9 AM; 3 - 7 PM, EVERY day (different hours on weekend).

Reason rhino's are ineffective? can't get through traffic to get to fire until fire is already out. Ask the gangs who burned all the vehicles lst month. Not ONE Rhino.