Friday, February 29, 2008

A little more on what I was talking about yesterday since I ran out of time because I was playing a game with the guys here at work most of the day.

Sometime last year, onmilliontinytinyjesues was playing at Davey's Uptown, and because they are so good for dancing and improving self esteem and breaking Calvary rules, apparently, I went to see them play. It was a Thursday, and Jill had to get up early in the morning, but she insisted I go. This was back when I had the ten-to-seven, and a one in the morning still netted me a good eight hours of sleep. I remember it being cold, and I forgot to bring cash, so I had to go to a deserted ATM a couple blocks down. Which was a little disconcerting. I didn't even finally decide to go until late, so when I showed up there was this other band playing called Lowry.

Lowry's a folky (antifolk, actually, whatever that means) band originally from Kansas City but now based out of New York and I dug them right off. So did Brianna, who was there, too. I know because she bought a CD, and also she said that they might be her favorite band, which was a pretty good indication to me. They've got a lead singer guy on the acoustic guitar whose last name is Lowry, believe it or not. And a drummer, and a keyboards guy. They also have a singer named Heidi Sidelinker who is now a 'friend' of mine on MySpace and Facebook due to the fact that I placed myself on Lowry's email list and that after leaving her in that Myspace I-don't-know-if-this-is-a-real-person-or-not-and-if-so-how-do-I-know-them-anyway limbo for a few months. That night Heidi was totally getting into her singing, and dancing some like she meant what she was singing, if you know what I mean.

Later on, while we were waiting for thejesusues to go on, there were a number of us standing around and talking and choking (Davey's Uptown is the smokiest place I have ever been). One person (I don't remember who, so don't ask.) commented on how into singing Heidi was, and someone else (Again, I don't know who; quit asking) said that that was just because she was sleeping with the band leader. I thought this was pretty crass myself, and a little too cynical for my tastes.

Now, I'll come back and tackle cynicism some other time, doncha worry about that one, but what really bothered me, though, is the idea that this person had a mindset that said for Heidi to be that enthusiastic and into her music, she had to have some ulterior sexual motive. Well, bullcrap. I mean, maybe she does. I've got no idea whatsoever. I kind of doubt it, but I'm really not sure. Thing is, to jump to that conclusion, that person was just objectifying and commodiying Heidi. They were saying, essentially, that they could figure out someone's motives just by looking at them. That their ivory tower knowledge let them in on the inner workings of another person, and you can predict how they'll act in certain situations. I'm not saying there aren't psychological clues out there that you can read to get a vibe for how someone is feeling or if they're lying. I am saying that using those clues, or your own preception of those clues to deduce things like that is absurd, and very self-serving. I seem to recall whoever it was having a smirk. Let me tell you, if you say something with a smirk, most of the time, you shouldn'ta said it.

And add on top of that the person was adding some sort of sexual slant to their impossible-to-know knowledge. Booooooooo. Rob Bell says that most people view sexuality through the lens of everyone being either an angel, with no sexual or physical needs or desires, or through the the lens that everyone's an animal that can't control their desires. He says that maybe we need a third way where people are seen through the lens of being people who have desires and can control them.

I listened to some Lowry last night on the way home from writing with Amanda. We've still got a tape deck in the van because I've been too lazy to replace it with the old CD player Adam gave me far too long ago. So I can use the old CD-player-to-tape-deck cord hook up thing to plug my laptop into the van's stereo. I listened to 'Radio Sky', 'the Creeps' and 'Jukebox Heart' where Heidi and Alex Lowry harmonize about letting the nickel slide down down down down, and I was happy, because that song is so good. I meant to listen to 4th of July, which mentions hobbits, but I didn't queue it up right. I decided I would go stand at an ATM in the cold, in a deserted part of town, to see them again.

3 comments:

Jeremy D. Ford said...

Good story, says I. Also, thanks for removing the word verification nonsense. I appreciate it muchly. I would like to listen to this "Lowry" at some point.

Also, I've anted in this pot. Thought you'd like to know. http://ieromik.blogspot.com

papathebald said...

Unfortunately, it is easier to do than I would like to admit (smirking or saying smirking things.)

What do you do when things are worse than you perceive them to be? Weep? Reach out? I've almost lost a hand reaching out a few times. But it's still worth reaching out.

But there's nothing worse than than when you realize you've just smirked. You are right. Even once is too many.

Brett said...

5 broken rules in one night good