Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Part I of My top Ten List of RoTTIHEiaWBRHEA

Back to striving for popularity. Here's another list. Yay, lists.

Part I of My Top Ten List of Reviews of Things That I Haven't Experienced in a While, But Recently Have Experienced Again.

10. The Sandman
What is it?
A graphic novel written, but not illustrated, by Neil Gaimen, involving Morpheus, the King of Dreaming and struggle with change. Published in serial form in 75 issues, over the course of 7 years, from 1989 to 1996.

Who else has experienced it? Sam has, and Jill, and Erika, and Becky. And, like, millions of other people, apparently.

When did I first experience it?
Hmm, 2006, I think.

What was my impression back then?
I liked it. A lot. Enough to ask for it for Christmas, even.

Why hadn't I experienced it lately? Didn't have a copy of my very own.

How'd I get back to it? I asked for the Ultimate Sandman Vol. 1 and 2 for Christmas or my birthday. And my wife and my sister teamed up to get me the two volumes for a wonderful, wonderful birthday present. Thanks, ladies. I read through the two volumes by the end of February, usually at bedtime. Wearing a stocking cap.

Rating: Dreamy.

How was it this time? The story is still great, yes sir, yes sir. And the new inking and coloring is all very nice as well, la-di-dah. I love seeing how the seeds he plants in the story (that I don''t even think he even knew would) grow up later, and how he plucks just the right ones to maximize the mystery of the universe. And the world he weaves is so rich. It's storytelling at its finest. Especially impressive considering the main characters are mostly personifications of the basic attributes of the universe: Death and Dream, and so on. Kind of hard to identify with, you'd think.

But there's a problem. See, when I first started looking into acquiring this rich graphical narrative for my very own, I looked at the prices for the paperbacks that collect the 75 issues into ten volumes. These run about fifteen bucks on Amazon. Ergo, about $150 for the set. Sometimes more. But then I saw that DC was doing an ultimate version of The Sandman, and looking at the size of it, thought that it would comprise about half the run per volume. And at $75 each, I thought it'd be a good deal, especially considering the larger pages, new inking, new coloring, and bonus material. Which is all very well done, as I've said. Problem is, each volume is only about a fourth of the series. And I have to wait until May to get the third one, and December for the fourth.

So, Sandman=awesome. My ability length vision and present research skills=not so good. The fact that I'm now going to own the beautiful larger editions that I never would have bought otherwise=even more awesome.

9. Disc Golf

What is it? Well, it's like golf, see. You're in the out-of-doors, and trying to get a thing in another thing in as few thing tries as possible. Only instead of expensive balls and and really expensive sticks and little holes on expensive, private lawns, you throw cheap round pieces of plastic with your own hands at rather expensive chain baskets on mostly public tractor mowed land.

Who else has experienced it? More than you know, my friend.

When did I first experience it? I think it was back in ought two or three. I was subbing at the time. And I'd get off work at 3:00 and go play 18 in Olathe. And my days off, O my brothers, that was horrorshow. Also, I seem to recall a summer in which I was job-hunting and played frequently.

Why hadn't I experienced it lately? Well, I can't rightly say. I've played on and off, here and there. But nothing like it used to be. Seems like part of my overall lifestate of finding other things to do with my time. For a while there, Jill and I only had occasional Thursdays off. We cut out our Monday night prayer group thing, and that's freed some time up. And we don't do nearly as much on weekends as we used to. But with a job that lets me out at 6 (was 7 for have the year), it's hard to get out for a good couple hours in a park. Especially since Jill doesn't play. And for some reason, she didn't like it back then. Neither of us can remember why.

What was my impression back then? Like Halo 2, I really enjoyed anything I thought I could try my hardest at. And it was a good way to hang out with friends. I never really got my throw down the way I'd like it. But some days I was spot-on. I liked it for the same reason, I think, people life golf, a chance to prove yourself mentally.

How'd I get back to it? Brett invited me to go a week ago Sunday. This was in the middle of my weekend of caffeine withdrawal, and I wanted to take a nap. Instead, I went to Rosedale, and then, because there was a tournament, we headed out to Blue Valley Park, out east on 27th street.

Rating: Ow.

How was it this time? Ok, look. I don't mind dparticupating difficult activities. Not, especially when it's something I enjoy. But I do have a real problem with things that are made stupidly hard for your average participant. I can't throw like a Pro. I'm an amateur. I'm trying to learn the game. It usually takes me about an hour and a half to play Olathe with a partner. Olathe's a short course, I get that. No problem. Rosedale Up Top takes about two hours for all eighteen holes. Now, last Sunday, Brett and I played six holes of Blue Valley Park in about an hour. That's a three hour course if we'd played the whole thing.

And I was worn out after 6 holes. It's all hills. And the pins are impossible to see from the tee, even with the super-fancy-I-want-them-at-every-course topographical maps with attached pegs for hanging your bag, which I also want at every course. Most of the holes we saw are uphill after teeing off, and some are uphill from the tee. And they're long. Hole 18? 600+ feet. 900+ at the long pin. I looked it up, 14 of their holes are over 400 feet. The world record is 820 feet. On a level surface. With wind help. And hole 18? There is a row of trees about a hundred feet in front of you. And I threw out my shoulder on the approach for 18. Which hurt for about five days.
And It was muddy, so it was hard to throw. Heck, we couldn't even find the tee box for hole 14.

So, yeah. I'm totally going again when I get the chance.

8. Taking more than 60 calls in a day
What is it? See title.

When did I first experience it? Today.

Rating: Two reviews out of five

How was it this time? Way better than I thought it would be. I remained chipper even being underslept and uncaffeinated. There weren't too many annoying people, and some were actually helpful. But still, 60!




No comments: